Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Walter Young, 2006 Topps Opening Day #146

I'm burning the midnight oil for this post, because my new workout regimen took priority. After weeks of dithering, I finally bought Nintendo's Wii Fit over the weekend. After all, I'm 26 and I haven't gotten regular exercise since I stopped running track in high school nearly a decade ago. I'm going to start paying attention to the warning signs...like tweaking a muscle in my back when I bend down to pick up one of the cats. It's a slippery slope, and I'd like to whip myself into better shape before I end up looking like ol' Walter Young there. Because I'm some sort of glutton for punishment, I do occasionally write at other locales on the Web, and it just so happens that I gabbed at further length about my first impressions of Wii Fit over at Crunchable. Check it out while I collapse into bed.

7 comments:

Dave said...

I saw Walter Young play for the Winnipeg Goldeyes while I was dating a girl from Winnipeg. I spoke to him after the game - nice guy.

Stacey said...

Isn't hula hooping the most hilarious thing ever?

Beefalo said...

Calvin Pickering and C.C. Sabathia have both gotten up over "three bills" (300 lbs.) in the majors. But I do believe Walter was the heaviest man in major-league history.

William said...

What's a Wii Fit?

Kevin said...

Dave - Glad to hear it!

Stacey - Indeed it is. I tried the super hula hoop, or whatever it is - 90 seconds in each direction - and I thought I might die.

Beefalo (if that is your real name) - Either Walter or fellow ex-O's 1B Calvin Pickering. He was a biiig dude.

William - I wish I could come up with a witty punchline. All I've got is "the bottom partition of my entertainment center".

William said...

Hahahaha...but seriously -- what's a Wii Fit?

Kevin said...

William - It's a fitness program for the Nintendo Wii. It comes with software and a "balance board" that you stand on to do various exercises: hula hooping, step aerobics, snowboarding, lunges, and so forth. It's still exercise, but it's mildly more entertaining than most forms of exercise.