Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cal Ripken, Jr., 1996 Classic $100 Phone Card

This thing sure is a symbol of the time in which it was produced. When is the last time you knew someone who used a prepaid phone card? Back in the day, you might have killed a man to get your hands on a $100 card. If it should happen to have Cal Junior on it? Well, some people would have wiped out an entire small town for this bad boy. It's funny to think about now, but for the first three years of college I didn't own a cell phone. As I was living on campus on the Eastern Shore, my parents used to send me on my way with AT&T phone cards so that I might not disappear from their lives. This was as recent as 2003. I'm a reformed Luddite.

No comments: