Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, August 24, 2009

Cal Ripken, Jr., 1986 Fleer Star Stickers #99

I would be remiss if I didn't wish a happy 49th birthday to Hall of Fame shortstop/third baseman, hometown hero, and my one-time boss, Cal Ripken, Jr. It's kind of amazing that this photo was taken half a lifetime ago for #8. It's an excellent shot, what with Cal's good friend and fellow Cooperstown inductee Eddie Murray lurking in the on-deck circle.

In case you're curious, others born on this date include 1960's Houston bullpen ace Hal Woodeshick (77 years old), Angels all-time home run leader Tim Salmon (41), and the late Nick Adenhart (would be 23). Elsewhere in popular culture, today is a special day for Vince McMahon, Mike Huckabee, Steve Guttenberg, Reggie Miller, and Dave Chappelle. Quite a motley crew, to say the least.

I couldn't begin to guess how Junior might be celebrating his birthday, but I certainly hope that it involves ice cream cake, a moon bounce, and Billy Ripken dressed as a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

No comments: