Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Doug DeCinces, 1982 Fleer #162

There are only so many hours in the day, and I already spend too many of them on the Internet, so I tend to keep my hobby reading habits to a tried-and-true small list of baseball card blogs. I should probably branch out once in a while, because even the few that I read provide great inspiration for topics for my own blog. (Inspiration...that's what it's called when you blatantly recycle someone else's ideas, right?) Anyway, Night Owl (a.k.a. Mr. Dependable) just posted his unapologetic tribute to the offbeat, off-centered charms of the 1982 Fleer set. It's still February, so there's no real live baseball to talk about. I thought I'd supplement his work by looking at some of the so-bad-they're-good Orioles cards from Fleer's sophomore effort. The charms of this Doug DeCinces card are numerous: the light saturation makes it look like a Polaroid, Doug's left arm is cut off, and he's got his right hand tucked into his waistband as if the photographer caught him leaving the restroom. This is the seventh card I've posted from the set. The others, in chronological order:

-A pigeon-toed Lenn Sakata takes infield practice on what looks like the local sandlot.

-John Lowenstein lets his freak flag fly.

-Tim "Bigfoot" Stoddard wears a Hefty bag and conspicuously tight pants during warmups.

-Dennis Martinez flashes his pearly whites and poses with a bat and helmet.

-Rich Dauer tries to turn two with Carlton Fisk bearing down on him, and Coke gets some product placement.

-Steve Stone, a curly hairdo, and a mess of Oriole Bird helmets.

Oh great, now I feel the urge to build another set. One thing at a time, Kevin...

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Nice catch with Fisk on the Dauer card. Funny thing is, Fisk was in Chicago in 1981, which means the photo is recycled from 1980.

Kevin said...

Jeff - Very true! Considering how thrown-together the first couple Fleer sets were, they were probably buying up photographers' B-rolls.