Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, August 9, 2013

Vintage Fridays: Tom Phoebus, 1970 Topps #717

I've got a bit of show and tell for you today. My parents recently found a nifty piece of memorabilia at home, commemmorating the 1970 World Champion Baltimore Orioles (click to embiggen):

As you can see, this plastic ruler has been well-used, but it's still hanging in there after 43 years. The front side of the ruler features manager Earl Weaver and the Orioles' starting position players, as well as their top three starting pitchers. The back features the coaching staff, reserve position players, and the rest of the pitchers. Unfortunately, Andy Etchebarren, Dick Hall, and Tommy Phoebus got the brunt of the wear and tear, but you can still faintly see their likenesses.

So now I'm curious: what's the most unusual item in your Orioles collection? Reply in the comments if you like.

6 comments:

Ryan H said...

Probably my most unusual item is a Cal Ripken Bamm Beano (a more masculine beanie baby!).

Commishbob said...

Wow, that's a tough question as I have just a ton of oddball junk errrr...stuff. I'll go with an Orioles cardboard popcorn 'megaphone' that I got on my first trip to Memorial Stadium way back when. It's got the old Jim Hartzell cartoon bird on it. It has a little cardboard handle that folds out. I'll have to dig it out and show it off one of these days.

Jim from Downingtown said...

Tom Phoebus held down the fort for the O's in 1967, with McNally and Palmer sidelined by arm injuries.

PeteLevin said...

Oh man... well, I just recently purchased (and framed) a 1961 Hamm's Beer Orioles placemat with a WBAL TV schedule on it. A great rarely used alternate cartoon bird is on it. Oh and then there are the Cal, Eddie, and Jim fried chicken bucket lids. And the unopened bottle of 1983 world series Coke...

vto said...

I have a commemorative Cal Ripken cup with the absolute weirdest hair on Cal which makes him look like he has an afro. It's awful but I can't throw it out.

Kevin said...

I love everyone's answers. One man's trash is another's treasure, and I think we're all proof of that. :)