Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, August 5, 2013

Mike Devereaux, 1993 Donruss #455

Hey! It's my birthday! I'm 31 years old, and that means that I've been an Orioles fan for 20 years. Where does the time go? As I've mentioned once or 178 times before, I first got hooked on baseball back in 1993, which helps explain why I'm devoting a chunk of my free time to a 1993 Topps blog these days. So if we flash back to August 5, 1993, we'll find that the O's beat the Brewers 3-1 at Camden Yards. Ben McDonald picked up his ninth win of the year with a complete game effort, keeping Milwaukee off of the scoreboard after Robin Yount scored on a first-inning wild pitch. Mike Devereaux drove in the first two Baltimore runs with a first-inning double and a fifth-inning single, and Brady Anderson provided an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh with a sacrifice fly. It was the Orioles' fourth straight win in an eventual eight-game streak, which was immediately followed by an eight-game losing streak. You certainly can't say that the O's didn't try to warn me against getting too deeply involved in the ebb and flow of a 162-game baseball season.

No comments: