Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, May 2, 2011

Jay Gibbons, 2002 Donruss Studio #79

It's not every day that the President announces that the country's greatest enemy has been captured and killed, so I thought I'd commemorate the occasion with the ol' Stars and Stripes. It seems inconceivable to me that it's been ten years since Osama bin Laden became a household name in the United States. On September 11, 2001 I had just started my sophomore year of college. I don't remember much about that day. I had already gone across campus for my morning Basics of Computing class when the full scope of the terrorist attacks was realized and we were notified that all classes would be cancelled. I went straight to the dining hall for lunch and sat with my friend Boothe, who was visibly shaken by the whole thing. That stands out to me because he's the kind of guy who doesn't allow himself to appear vulnerable very often, and naturally I had no idea what to say to reassure him. But we made it through the day, and hundreds and thousands of days since. Life goes on...we always find a way.

3 comments:

Commishbob said...

I remember that at the school I was teaching at that day moms showed up to take their kids home. Worried about attacks on rural Texas primary schools. I was a parent so I understood their concern despite the unlikelihood of the situation arising.

OriolePhan said...

I Saw Him Play when he was with the Ducks. Ducks were playing in York (my hometown) He Signed a auto for me and my friends hoping someday he'll get back to the majors and become a star (again) Let hope he does that with LA.

Kevin said...

Bob - Nobody quite understood what was happening. I wouldn't have blamed them either.

OP - The Dodgers just activated Jay from the DL, so he could be on the way...