Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Mark McLemore, 1992 Orioles Postcards #19

In my weaker moments, I consider collecting team-issued postcards. I've accumulated a few by osmosis, including this little number from 20 years ago. It's a great action shot of Mark McLemore hustling out of the batter's box on a chilly day at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. On the back, there's this inspiring message from Mac:

"Dear Orioles Fan:

The Baltimore Orioles and I are so happy that you take an active interest in our team. We truly appreciate the support our fans give us.

We hope you will enjoy adding this photo card to your Orioles memorabilia collection.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in the near future!

Sincerely,

Mark McLemore"

Yeah, if that stilted tone sounds familiar, it's because you wrote similar words when your mom forced you to write thank you cards for everyone that gave you a birthday gift that one year. I like that he speaks for not only himself, but also the entire Orioles organization. He also makes sure that you know that the Orioles have a shiny new stadium to play in. I don't mean to shatter the illusion, but the exact same note appears on the back of Cal Ripken's postcard. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

At the very least, I need to track down the 1995 postcards. It may be my only chance to commemorate Kevin Bass and Terry Clark in O's uniforms.

Yes, that's something I want.

No comments: