Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, September 14, 2012

Vintage Fridays: Jim Palmer, 1977 Topps #600

Just as the Orioles are starting a road trip today, so am I. Of course, I'm not headed to such far-flung locales as Oakland, Seattle and Boston. My itinerary includes Chestertown and two Eastons (Maryland and Pennsylvania). I'm taking part in a reading and roundtable discussion for my alma mater's student writer's union. The piece I'm reading is a personal essay I wrote back in 2008 about my ongoing war with "sprickets", the scourge of my old apartment in Columbia. I'll be staying overnight, which will make tomorrow's drive to Easton (MD) much easier. That's where my friends Mike and Kimmy will be getting married. It certainly looks like they've picked a beautiful Saturday afternoon for their nuptials. I'll come back home tomorrow evening for a breather before driving to Easton (PA, near Allentown) Sunday morning for the final day of Chikara Pro Wrestling's King of Trios tournament. It's a smaller independent organization that runs out of the Mid-Atlantic, and it was founded by Mike Quackenbush. I had the pleasure of making Mike's acquaintance when we both wrote for a wrestling humor and opinions website in the early 2000's. But I've never seen one of his shows, which feature cartoonish characters (even by pro wrestling standards) and high-flying feats of athleticism. There's also a meetup for followers of the With Leather sports blog, which will give me the opportunity to put faces with some of the names that I've been sharing my guilty pleasure with every Monday night on that site's WWE RAW discussion threads. I'll probably be collapsing back into my own bed around midnight Sunday night/Monday morning. No rest for the wicked, you know.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a little extracurricular reading. Max (aka Jacobmrley) is one of the wittiest collectors/bloggers that I've interacted with in my travels in the sportscardblogosphere. If you're not already reading his Starting Nine blog, you best hop to it. His latest post throws a little love the Orioles' way, and shows off his nine-card mini-collections of Mike Mussina, Cal Ripken, Jr., Eddie Murray, Brooks and Frank Robinson, and Jim Palmer. Spoiler alert: the above card of Palmer in his orange finery makes the cut. So happy reading, and I'll check in (however briefly) tomorrow!

No comments: