Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, September 10, 2012

Tommy Davis, 2001 Upper Deck Decades: 1970s #18

It's funny; with the Orioles still in the playoff hunt, it seems too early to be football season. But the O's have the night off, which is convenient since the Ravens played their first game tonight. In honor of my second-favorite local sports team and their 44-13 blowout win over the Bengals, here's a retro card that features purple borders and the sublime Tommy Davis. Tommy is following through on his sweet swing...well, they blew up the photo, so you can't really see his swing, but you know what I mean. There's also something amusing about those tiny numbers that the Birds wore on the backs of their jerseys in the mid-1970s...on bigger guys like Lee May or Tim Stoddard, they gave the appearance of an ill-fitting children's replica. Of course, I might not say that to their faces...

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

Hard to believe he's in his 70s now. I really feel old when I think about stuff like that. The '66 Series just doesn't seem so long ago. ;-(