Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, September 24, 2012

Jeff Reboulet, 1998 Pacific Online Red #99

I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board to figure out where to take the Coveted Cluster want list posted on the left side of this page. You see, I had some gift moneys for amazon.com, and I happened to see that Check Out My Cards is now partnered with Amazon. So for giggles, I searched for all 11 of those elusive players. I now have nine of those bad boys, including former Randy Johnson killer Jeff Reboulet. The utility infielder faced the Big Unit 66 times in his career, 21 more plate appearances than he had against any other pitcher. In those meetings, Jeff batted .273/.375/.436 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI. Those numbers may seem somewhat pedestrian, but note that Reboulet had an overall OPS of .649 with 20 home runs in a dozen big league seasons. The only other pitcher he took deep twice was Ricky Bones, who joined Jeff on the 1999 Orioles roster. It's also worth mentioning that Reboulet started Game 4 of the 1997 ALDS against Johnson, and battled to a full count before driving another home run deep to left field in Camden Yards. It was a crucial opening blow in an eventual series-clinching 3-1 victory.

I came up empty on Josh Bell and Heathcliff Slocumb in my COMC/Amazon spree, but I found some goodies for cheap. (There may even be an autographed and serial-numbered card in the mix.) Anyway, I'll figure out something to do to refill my most-wanted list. A team collector's work is never done.

No comments: