Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Jay Tibbs, 1990 Score #480

I bought two 36-card packs of 2015 Topps today, just to scratch that new-card itch. I figured that I'd post my first Orioles card of the current year. Naturally, I got none. Not a single Baltimore-centric card out of 72. In my indignation, I chose to feature a 1990 Score card of goony ol' Jay Tibbs, with all of the primary colors represented in the bright contrasting borders. Take that, 2015 Topps. I also determinedly sorted the new stuff by team, to see just how effective Topps was in trolling me:

-Five cards each: Dodgers (two inserts!), Giants, Phillies

-Four cards each: Astros, Indians, Nationals, Tigers

-Three cards each: Angels, Cubs, Padres, Pirates, Rockies

-Two cards each: Blue Jays, Brewers, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Mets, Rangers, Yankees

-One card each: Athletics, Braves, Mariners, Marlins, Rays, Red Sox, White Sox, Dr. Jonas Salk

-No cards: Orioles, Reds, Royals, Twins

Yep, I got an insert card highlighting the freaking polio vaccine, but nothing doing when it came to my favorite team. On the one hand, at least I didn't get bombarded with Yankees and Red Sox for a change, and there were no K.C. players to rub salt in the still-open wounds of the 2014 ALCS. On the other hand, four stinking Nationals? Barf. At least the irritation I felt after opening these packs strengthens my resolve to deny Topps more of my hard-earned dollars.

No comments: