Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Earl Weaver, 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame #48

I usually pride myself on my persistence when attending Orioles games. I rarely leave early, be it extra innings, rain delays, or just a run-of-the-mill ugly blowout. But when you combine a sloppy, lousy game with miserable 95-plus degree temperatures, I'm going to ask for a mulligan. I was happy to receive my Earl Weaver replica statue, and to hear the legendary manager's pregame remarks following the unveiling of the life-sized sculpture in the picnic area, but the Birds couldn't do old #4 justice today (save for Chris Davis' monster three-run homer onto Eutaw Street. My sister and I suffered through four drawn-out innings, and the O's were down 7-4 when we finally checked out of the ballpark. Now it's 10-5 and Earl is probably instinctively reaching for the pack of cigarettes he used to keep tucked in his hidden uniform pocket. Oh well...at least I can gush about new Oriole Jim Thome for tomorrow's blog entry!

2 comments:

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

best Orioles manager ever.

Kevin said...

H-Man - No one even comes close to Earl.