Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Brian Roberts, 2010 Topps Finest #79

I honestly didn't believe that Brian Roberts would ever play a major league game again, and I've never been so happy to be wrong. Tonight, the erstwhile Orioles second baseman once again became their current second baseman, nearly 13 full months after sustaining a second concussion that put his career and his day-to-day health in serious jeopardy. The weather kept the crowd down around 15,000, but those of us in attendance greeted Roberts with a standing ovation for his first at-bat, and cheered loudly as he went 3-for-4 with a sacrifice fly in his customary leadoff spot in the batting order.

Make no mistake: while I'm thrilled that my favorite active Oriole is back on the field, that's nothing compared to the fact that he's able to do all sorts of things that you and I might take for granted. For months, Brian was unable to push a grocery cart or even watch a baseball game. Not being able to function normally caused him anxiety, and anxiety worsened his symptoms. Talk about your vicious cycles. None of us can imagine the full extent of the anguish and turmoil that he endured. I'm very pleased that I was able to sit in the crowd at Camden Yards tonight and see one of the team's all-time top second basemen hit and throw and catch and run, but a pessimistic and fatalistic part of me will hold my breath every time he makes a sudden move for the rest of his career, however long that may be. The cruel truth of concussions is that each one makes the victim increasingly susceptible to further concussions. Hopefully Brian Roberts has suffered enough, and his eventual retirement will be of his own volition, allowing him to live out the rest of his life in good health and on his own terms.

No comments: