Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, August 8, 2008

Vintage Fridays: Paul Richards, 1961 Topps #566

I'm sorry to inform you that this is my last "live" post for a little while; I'm going on vacation for another week. Okay, let's be honest; I'm not that sorry. Just as I did in July, I've scheduled a series of "This Day in Orioles History" posts to publish each day while I'm away. So you'll be in good hands.

I'll be shoving off bright and early tomorrow morning with my parents and some friends of the family for our lakeside cottage in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The cottage, which was built by my grandfather and great-grandfather, is tucked away up in the Endless Mountains, and it's our destination for those times when we're looking to relax and do very little else. No reliable cell phone signal, no Internet, no cable television. I plan to do a lot of reading, a bit of writing...but the beauty of it is that I haven't had to do much planning. My Dad and I will be attending a Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees game on Thursday, which I will undoubtedly discuss with you when I return. (I much preferred things when they were the S-WB Red Barons, the Phillies' AAA team, but what can you do?)

I don't imagine that there was a lot of leisurely fun and relaxation to be had when the salty Paul Richards helmed the young Orioles. "The Wizard of Waxahachie" ran a tight ship, but he had the right mix of patience, technique, and ingenuity to lay the foundation for the team that would be one of baseball's best for two decades. I don't know how often Paul took vacations, but he certainly earned the right to kick his feet up once in a while.

No comments: