Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, August 25, 2008

Pete Stanicek, 1989 Topps Toys 'R' Us Rookies #30

I don't want to grow up
I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid
So many toys at Toys 'R' Us
That I can play with
From bikes to trains
To video games
It's the biggest toy store there is
I don't want to grow up
'Cuz if I did
I wouldn't be a Toys 'R' Us kid

As a kid who grew up in the '80s and early '90s, Toys 'R' Us was a Mecca to me. I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a toy store on TV, but in those days they were ubiquitous. Kay Bee Toys and Lionel Kiddie City also had a decent share of the toy scene, but to my mind they were poor imitators. Toys 'R' Us was the biggest, the most awe-inspiring. They had Geoffrey the Giraffe. They took me by the hand and led me through all of my various toy crazes through the years, from Definitely Dinosaurs to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Germs to Dick Tracy to WWF action figures.

I've still got many of those childhood toys, as well as several newer toys. I am both a pack rat and a man who is very much in touch with his inner child. I stopped buying them in college, though some still trickle in as gifts from well-meaning friends. But every time I drive past those long white buildings with the bright, multi-colored letters (including that goofy backwards 'R'), I can't help but smile. Sometimes, when I've got time to kill, I'll even stop and look around. After all, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid.

No comments: