Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Willy Miranda, 1991 Crown/Coca-Cola All-Time Orioles #307

The Orioles did not score a single lousy run all weekend in Fenway Park. The last time that Baltimore's baseball team was shut out in three straight games, it took a Willy Miranda RBI single to break the skid. That was back on August 2, 1957, in the second inning of the opener of a doubleheader against the Athletics.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the O's open their final homestand of the season tomorrow night, despite this latest embarrassing stumble. After all, I've only got tickets for three more games this year, and there will be something missing in my life for the rest of the fall and winter.

2 comments:

Zach said...

Interesting that his name is actually Willy (Guillermo) but most of his baseball cards say 'Willie'. I wonder if that was an attempt to Americanize him - he's from Cuba - in the same way card companies tried to label Roberto Clemente as Bob?

Commishbob said...

Topps (and Bowman, too I guess) went back and forth with 'Willie' and 'Willy' spellings. He signed autographs as 'Willy'. I have a signed news service photo that he signed as 'Guillermo Willy Miranda'.


And three shutouts in Fenway is just ridiculous.