Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Delmon Young, 2014 Topps Update Series #US-160

Hey, Delmon Young is back for 2015! I would not have imagined a year ago that I would be legitimately happy to type that. But Delmon was a model citizen for the Orioles in 2014 as a backup designated hitter, pinch hitter, and occasional theoretical outfielder. His 120 OPS+ was his highest since 2010, and he batted .302/.337/.442 overall. He was 10-for-20 as a pinch hitter in the regular season, and he had one more important pinch hit in the postseason that you might remember. I'm fairly certain that it was the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed in person at Camden Yards. The best part is that, as the eighth inning of Game Two of the ALDS unfolded, I could see it coming. When three straight batters reached against Joba Chamberlain, I turned to my sister and said, "How many guys have to get on base before Delmon bats?". By the time Buck Showalter sent his pinch hitter extraordinaire to the plate in place of Ryan Flaherty with the bases loaded and the O's down by two, I had absolutely no doubt that he would deliver...the rest is history.

No comments: