Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, May 31, 2013

Vintage Fridays: Bob Kennedy, 1955 Topps #48

I'm leaving you again! But this time I'll be back on Sunday. I'm spending the next 48 hours in Chestertown for reunion weekend at my college. There will be a roast for a pair of my old theatre professors who are retiring, some catching up with folks I haven't seen in years, a drama alumni performance (I'm a spectator, not a performer), and a beer tasting courtesy of Salisbury's own Evolution Craft Brewing Company. Oh, and my fiancee and I will be getting the authentic college experience by sleeping in a double room on campus. Yes, I waited too long to get a hotel room; why do you ask?

Since my college was founded by George Washington, I thought I'd stick with the presidential theme and show you this broken-in Bob Kennedy card. In addition to begetting late-'80s O's catcher Terry Kennedy, Bob had a long and interesting career. He debuted with the White Sox in 1939 at age 19, served in the military during World War II and the Korean War, and spent parts of 16 years in the big leagues despite a career OPS+ of 80 and a batting line of .254/.309/.355. While seeing time at third base and in the outfield corners for the 1954 Orioles, Bob was second on the team in home runs and RBI...with six and 45. The first year for the Birds in Baltimore was not an offensively robust one, to say the least. After retiring as a player, Kennedy worked in baseball through the 1992 season. He managed the Cubs (1961-1963) and Athletics (1968), and worked in the front office for the Indians, Cardinals, Cubs (general manager, 1977-1981), Astros, and Giants. Bob passed away at age 84 in 2005.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love reading O's-related blogs. Also, I recently posted something on my own little blog about the other week's stellar catch by McLouth. In any case, keep up the good work--and go O's!