Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Jonathan Schoop, 2014 Panini Donruss #37

I know it's been out for a while, but last night was the first time that I had spotted Panini's new Donruss-themed cards for sale at one of my nearby Target stores. At a hefty $2.99 for an eight-card pack, I contented myself with two packs and called it a night. I actually rather like the design, with the strip of baseballs in the center of the border evoking the 1987 Donruss set. But the team colors are an improvement over its predecessor. Oddly enough, the white border and the city and player name on the bottom make me think of 1978 Topps more than anything else. As you can see, I pulled a card of young Jonathan Schoop, who has a very good chance to be the Orioles' starting second baseman when the season begins in nine days. The single best thing about this set might be the return of our old friend, the Rated Rookie subset. We missed you...or at least I did. If I was only going to get one hometown player out of my packs, Schoop may have been the one to get. I wouldn't say these are exactly worth the price tag, but it's worth grabbing a few impulse packs for the novelty of it all.

No comments: