Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Kevin Gausman, 2014 Topps #190

Now that I've finally cobbled together a fair-to-middlin' return package of cards to send his way, I'll allow myself to talk about the padded envelope of O's cards that I received from Max last week. Blogdom's favorite Mets/Saints/Football Giants fan made good with a handful of 2014 Topps Orioles, including the dearly Birdland-departed Nate McLouth and Future Stars cards (they're back!) of Kevin "Goose" Gausman and Manny Machado. Gausman's inclusion seems to be keeping more in the spirit of the prospect-focused 1980s and 1990s Future Stars, as he has only 47.2 big league innings to his name and just saw his odds of breaking camp with the Birds next month get a bit worse. Ubaldo Jimenez is the kind of guy that bumps a rookie from the starting rotation, top draft pick or no. On the other hand, I would argue that Machado is already a star, by dint of his 2013 All-Star Game selection and Gold Glove Award. But if Topps wants to shield itself against the hindsight mockery that has been heaped upon the likes of Tim Pyznarski and Steve Searcy, who am I to argue? Max also supplemented my O's collection with a few shiny Bowmans of Chris Davis and Jim Johnson, an even shinier Prizm rookie card of ex-Oriole and current Astro Little Jerome Hoes, and a 2013 Topps Chasing History insert of Manny. The Cal Junior Turkey Red card that graced yesterday's post was also from this unassuming bubblelope, as was a 1993 Score base card of Joe Orsulak and a 1998 Fleer Tradition Harold Baines. Though these cards were sent blindly, only a pair of the dozen I received were duplicates - Harold Reynolds and Brady Anderson's 1993 Studio cards. Whether he realizes it or not, Max continues to find ways to surprise me. That's what makes for a good trade partner.

No comments: