Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, May 6, 2016

Vintage Fridays: Bob Johnson, 1967 Topps #38

Whew, I'm back! I wasn't expecting to take a week off from blogging due to burning up a laptop charging cable, but if I've learned any lesson in recent months (over and over and over again), it's this: life is not tidy.

As an example, I give you this woebegone card specimen, featuring former Orioles sub Bob Johnson. Those yellowish bars criss-crossing the front of the card are from decades-old strips of tape, which I'd guess were used by another collector to affix the card to an album of some sort. Card enthusiasts in the 1960s and 1970s didn't have Ultra-Pro binders and pages and penny sleeves at their disposal, so they muddled through as best they could. It's all any of us can do.

1 comment:

Jim from Downingtown said...

With the addition of Dave Johnson, I guess management felt they had too many Johnsons in the infield, so old Bob was traded to the Mets in early 1967.