Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, January 22, 2016

Vintage Fridays: Joe Ginsberg, 1958 Topps #67

Here in Baltimore, we are smack dab in the middle of the path of Winter Storm Jonas, aka Snowzilla. So far, we're holding up alright. I'm stacked up on beer (Shiner Winter Cheer and a Breckenridge Mountain Series Sampler), firewood, ice melt, shovels, and groceries. We still have power (knock on wood), we've got several inches of snow on the ground, and we had a fairly leisurely day off from work. If you're getting nailed by snow, sleet, ice, wind, or any other chilly nastiness this weekend, stay warm and safe!

I couldn't find any O's player named "Jonas", so here's a Joe...Ginsberg, to be exact. It looks like somebody tried to take his picture in the midst of a blizzard, though I'm sure it's just a printing error on my copy of the card. That still doesn't explain why he doesn't have a number on the back of his jersey. I have it on good authority that Joe did actually have a number during his five seasons with the Orioles, and it was #22. I hope that he spent the last few decades of his life telling people that Baltimore retired his number. Technically, it's the truth.

No comments: