Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Mike Bordick, 2002 Topps #153

The magic number for the Orioles is 14, thanks to the Yankees' 1-0 loss to Big Game James Shields and the Royals. Of course, the O's were also shut out last night, with Alex Cobb, Brad Boxberger, and Jake McGee flummoxing them in Tampa. They're still having a devil of a time scoring runs against the notoriously stingy Rays; it's 2-1 Tampa Bay in the top of the sixth as I type these words. Come on, guys...I want to see a clincher during the next homestand.

It would be fitting if Mike Bordick were in the broadcast booth for MASN whenever the Orioles do clinch. In 1997, he joined the team as the starting shortstop, moving Cal Ripken back to third base full-time. That year, Baltimore spent every day of the regular season atop the American League East, topping the Yankees with a 98-64 record.

1 comment:

jacobmrley said...

I am going to put my full support behind the O's this week. I am not sure if this is a good thing or the kiss of death. I backed Pittsburgh last year and we saw how well that turned out. Oh well, anyone but the Yankees.