Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bob Saverine, 1991 Crown/Coca-Cola All-Time Orioles #402

If you and your people celebrate Easter, I hope you have had a happy one. I spent the day with my family, eating lots of junk (and a little ham and green beans that probably got mixed in by accident), picking eggs, and participating in an adult Easter egg hunt that was the brainchild of my sister. I found 10 plastic eggs, most of which had slips of paper that could be redeemed for scratch-off lottery tickets or alcoholic beverages. It was a full day, and now I just want to watch the Rangers-Astros opener on ESPN and maybe go to bed.

But first, our card. Bob "Rabbit" Saverine was a utility player for the O's in 1959 and 1962-1964, and he batted .221 and slugged .270 during his time in Baltimore. He actually gave the Orioles a big boost in a June 8, 1966 doubleheader, although he was playing for the opposing Senators at the time. He went 0-for-7 with a pair of strikeouts in the opener, a 6-5 Birds win. In the nightcap, Bob went 0-for-5 with another whiff, as the O's squeaked it out 8-7. The teams combined for 56 hits in the twinbill, yet poor Bob was 0-for-12. He set an American League record for the most hitless at-bats in a doubleheader. No Easter eggs for the Rabbit that day...only goose eggs.

I can't resist cheesy wordplay. Feel free to throw your tomatoes. Or eggs, I suppose.

No comments: