Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mike Devereaux, 1992 Upper Deck #209

Today I'll show the last pair of autographs that I received at FanFest last Saturday. The first, from Mike Devereaux, is already ticketed to another collector. Alan Diddle was unsuccessful in obtaining Devo's signature through a mail request, and I'd already gotten the former center fielder's autograph at a previous appearance in 2009. So I'm trading this fine specimen for Alan's spare Ken Singleton autographed card, a 1984 Donruss. I love it when a plan comes together.
This is the first time I've gotten a current Oriole's John Hancock on a non-Oriole card. But I own exactly two Lew Ford cards, both from his mid-2000s tenure with the Twins, so I decided to mix it up a little. Lew didn't seem to have a problem scrawling his name on a cardboard reminder of his previous baseball life, though he joked with one of the FanFest volunteers that they should install a conveyer belt to help make the process more efficient. I kind of pitied the nonpaid workers supervising the autograph stations, as their pleas for the fans to keep moving and to refrain from taking personal photos with the players mostly fell on deaf ears. But I guess that's what happens when you charge $15 for an autograph session, no matter how charitable the cause: folks are going to try to get their money's worth.

No comments: