Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Roberto Alomar, 1998 Topps #285

This card has a special copper foil stamp in the top left corner indicating that it has been "minted in Cooperstown". Unfortunately, Roberto Alomar cannot yet say the same. I would express my annoyance and irritation with the schmucks of the Baseball Writer's Association of America who turned in blank ballots (there were five - Bert Blyleven missed election by FIVE VOTES) or gleefully explained their circular voting logic or voted for David Freaking Segui (one person actually did this)...but Adam Jones tweeted his dismay first, and I can't compete with that.

Instead, I'll actually try to play Polyanna on this one. If you look at the voting results, every single incumbent candidate received more votes this year than they did last year. That's not a great consolation when Tim Raines is getting 30 percent of the vote, but the voters are becoming more inclusive and there are more progressive and sane writers who are receiving the vote.

It's just that there's a lot of work left to do.

I'm not sweating Robbie much. While it's insane that the best second baseman of his era can't get in on the first try, he's close enough that he'll likely get there next year. Besides, Warren Spahn (363 wins!) was a second-ballot guy, so this crap has been going on for decades. I just hope that Bert can beat the clock.

5 comments:

William said...

He'll get in, it may just take awhile. He's going to get the push from Father Time that occurred to this year's lone inductee. On the other hand, if you would've told me in 1996 that Andres Galarraga would be dropped from the ballot after his first year eligible, I would've said you're crazy...

Commishbob said...

Yup, next year Alomar will have better stats. j/k

The whole 'not a first ballot guy' is crap. Either he's a H-O-Fer or he isn't.

Alomar, Blyleven, Larkin and Raines all belong. I'd have voted for Dale Murphy before Dawson.

Rounding Thirty 3rd said...

It is an embarrassment that Alomar did not receive the 75% necessary this year, but both he and Bert will get in next year.

However, I have to agree with Jon Heyman. I followed baseball for almost all of Blyleven's career, and never during his playing days did I view him as star, let alone a future Hall of Famer.

Freddy said...

He should get in next year. Who else is added to the ballot next year?

Kevin said...

William - Yeah, I always liked Galarraga. It's sad to see players that you enjoyed dropping off the ballot after only a year.

Bob - I totally agree. Dawson had a good career, but he may have been tenth-best on the ballot.

Tim - That may have been because of the poor teams on which he played. I guarantee he would've gotten those magical 300 wins with a little support.

Freddy - Next year's ballot will have 14 carryovers from this year, along with long-time players who retired in 2005 (that makes me feel old). Here's a list of everyone whose career ended in 2005, which you can sort by number of All Star Games as a crude criteria. Jeff Bagwell is the best bet, especially with Palmeiro being dogged by steroids.