Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, June 8, 2009

Ernie Whitt, 1991 Leaf #391

Ernie Whitt, huh? Whitt rhymes with twit, which is the first syllable of "Twitter". To date, I've taken a principled stand on Twitter, thinking (probably rightly so) that it was just another Internet time suck, an application designed to help our society amble along down the path of self-absorption and text-message-ish illiteracy. I still have my reservations, but my resolve is crumbling. Frankly, I can see some benefits to being the absolute last person on this particular online train. Often, I don't get a chance to update my NumerOlogy website as quickly as I'd like when there's breaking uniform number news with the Orioles. If I had a Twitter account, I could fire off a quick burst to inform the masses (i.e., the five people who would actually follow me). Then, when I had more time, I could post a proper update on the website itself. I could also post links to my writing whenever I had a new entry here, or on my 1965 Topps blog, or even at Crunchable. Maybe I'd even regale you with an occasional 146-character dose of my sparkling wit. There is still one thing that I will absolutely not bend on, ever: under no circumstances will I refer to the process as "tweeting". If I'm being honest, that's at least 30% of my issue with Twitter.

So, I'm giving you a say in this, readers. Should I be the next Twitter...guy? Should I stay out of it? Do you not give a flying fig one way or the other?

6 comments:

night owl said...

I can see advertising on twitter that you have new posts coming up on your blogs. That's one benefit.

But otherwise, twitter just doesn't appeal to me, either as a writer or a reader. I like to write without any limit on what I write. Otherwise, I would consider it work.

As a reader, I wouldn't be interested in anything that didn't refer to something more substantial (like a new blog post).

"I just bought a gold fish." Is not anything I would be tuning in to on a regular basis.

So you may not be the last one on twitter. That'd be me.

Dave said...

It's like the blog - if you think you can do it regularly then do so. If its going to be a struggle, whats the point?

Getting back to Ernie - what a shot! That is a classical pose. I love how both his legs are a perfect right angles. Very cool.

Stacey said...

I think using Twitter to announce updates to websites, blogs, businesses, whatever, is kind of a good idea.

I signed up for it awhile ago but barely use it because I decided it's dumb for individuals generally. People can only get away with that if they are extremely witty or famous. Otherwise it's boring.

Commishbob said...

twitter=Ijustdontgetit

Why does everyone have to know everything instantly? (And I am basing that on what I have heard Twitter is all about).

I suppose it might be useful to know that you updated the blog if I used a phone of something on the road to surf the internet. But as it stands now I'm not seeing it. Nothing, short of a family crisis or the Apocalypse, is so important that it can't wait until I check my computer at lunch hour or at night. And for a family crisis I just rely on my boring basic cell phone.

Sometimes (disclaimer: I'm an older guy prone to ranting about these things) the information age is just too damn... informational.

Sometime, when I have a couple hours to kill, I'll give you my complete, patented "Swine Flu Rant". LOL, or maybe I won't.

Commishbob said...

Kevin... none of the above was directed at you personally. I just go off sometimes, and the words 'twitter' and 'tweeting' make me cringe.

Justin G. said...

I don't see the appeal. Between cell phones, im, emails and blogs there are already plenty of ways to get information out there...

Information such as the fact that I actually saw Ernie Whitt yesterday. He's down here coaching the Clearwater Threshers looking at the bit like a former athlete.