Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chris Ray, 2008 Topps Heritage #45

Here's the first Oriole card that I pulled in the next set that I will be attempting to collect. I've loved Topps Heritage ever since I picked up my first card of it, the 2002 Melvin Mora that recently appeared in this space. But due to my dormant collecting period, which coincided with the first seven releases under the Heritage brand, this is the first time I've had a chance to try to put together a set. With a higher price than the regular Topps set as well as the magic of short prints and wacky variations, this should prove to be a challenge. But hey, fortune favors the bold, right?

If the design of this card looks familiar, it's because it's lovingly based on one of the coolest designs Topps ever threw at us. That would be their 1959 set, which included this George Bamberger card. Lest you think that Topps is pandering and color-coordinating every player's card to match his team, I assure you that each team's various players feature randomly chosen colors and that Chris' Creamsicle Orange border seems to be a happy coincidence. For instance, I also pulled a yellow-bordered Aubrey Huff out of another pack.

Chris Ray might want to take up card collecting to pass the time while he rehabilitates his right elbow. He may miss the 2008 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery last August. However, Chris has been spotted in Orioles camp this spring, and reports on his progress are optimistic. He might also want to spend a few hours researching O's history. A quick scan of the All-Time Roster at my NumerOlogy website would help him discover that he is one of just thirteen players in the 54-year history of the Orioles to have a three-letter last name (joining Howie Fox, Billy Cox, Charley Lau, Dave May, Lee May, Rudy May, Mark Lee, Esteban Yan, Jimmy Key, Derrick May, Geronimo Gil, and Radhames Liz).

Or, if he's looking to interact with his fans, maybe he could answer a question. On Baseball Reference, his full name is listed as Christopher T. Ray. What does the "T" stand for? Or is it a stand-alone letter, like Harry S Truman? Inquiring minds want to know, Chris.

2 comments:

Commishbob said...

Hi Kevin.

I've been enjoying reading along each day < bg >. That Heritage set looks pretty nice to me as well. I have been tempted to make it my re-introduction to collecting. At least I'll get the O's cards. See ya around the net.

-Bob Andrews

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia lists his middle name as "Thomas". Chris, is that true?