Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, May 30, 2014

Vintage Fridays: Steve Barber, 1964 Topps #450

A lot can happen in ten years. In 1954, the Orioles were the new kids in the American League, but they were also bottom-feeders. For the most part, they were just the also-ran St. Louis Browns in a new city with new uniforms. By 1964, Paul Richards had built the foundation of a team that would become the class of the league for the next two decades. There was a pitching staff full of strong young arms: Steve Barber, Milt Pappas, Dave McNally, Wally Bunker. Brooks Robinson had developed from a raw teenager into the best third baseman in the majors. Boog Powell was just beginning a career as a dangerous power hitter. The O's were on the cusp of greatness.

Somehow, it's been ten years since I graduated from college. Today I'm returning to the Eastern Shore for a reunion weekend. I'm looking forward to spending time with a handful of folks with whom I've kept close over the years, but I'm even more excited to reconnect with others whom I haven't seen since 2004. I'm even going to shake off the rust and perform in an improv comedy show with some fellow drama alumni tomorrow evening. I'm sure you can get along without me for 48 hours.

No comments: