Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, March 25, 2013

Wady Almonte, 1997 Fleer Ultra #510 and 1997 Fleer Ultra Gold Medallion #G510

This is the first ever Orioles Card "O" the Day Double Feature. Until I recently came across a large amount of 1997 Fleer Ultra, I had no idea that the Gold Medallion parallels featured completely different photos from their corresponding base cards. But it is so, as ably demonstrated here by Throwin' Wady Almonte and Swingin' Wady Almonte. Wady Almonte, Wady Almonte, Wady Almonte. There. Now I've said his name five times.
Wady Almonte.

4 comments:

night owl said...

Two different ....? Had no idea.

Exactly how many lifetimes would you need to complete every team set issued in the late '90s?

Commishbob said...

I'll admit having to look this guy up. '97 was part of my baseball Dark Ages. Looks like he never played in the bigs?

Kevin said...

Night Owl - It's best not to think about. I was doing some window shopping this morning and discovered that Pacific had a set with several different foil patterns in the background on the front...ugh. If Topps' current-day shenanigans get under my skin so much, I probably would have had a baseball card bonfire in response to the madness of the late 1990s.

Bob - Nope, he never made it. Not sure why Fleer was all over him in 1997: http://oriolescards.blogspot.com/2008/04/wady-almonte-1997-fleer-613.html

Commishbob said...

I googled him and see that from '02 thru '06 he went from Long Island, to Mexico and then Italy with stops in between.

I bet he racked up a few airline upgrades.