Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, March 18, 2013

Joe Orsulak, 1993 Fleer #549

Alright, I'm back after a very necessary sick day yesterday. Trust me when I tell you that I barely had the energy to take a shower. But now that I'm on the mend, I bring you Joe O and one of the dullest card designs known to man. Still, there is a kernel of goodness on this otherwise ho-hum card. As Joe Orsulak jogged back to the dugout from his defensive position, the photographer captured a larger scene reflected in Joe's mirrored sunglasses. You can see the infield grass and the dirt of the basepaths, as well as one of the other Orioles preceding Orsulak off of the field. It's far more interesting than the primary scene on the card.

4 comments:

Zach said...

You get bit by the 24-hour flu? I got that a few years ago and let me tell you, it was a weekend full of shivering under 10 blankets!

Kevin said...

Zach,

It was more like a 48-hour bug, but yes, I think that was it. Cold chills and low energy for most of the weekend. I had to borrow my girlfriend's fingerless gloves just to get a little extra warmth!

Rob said...

I know this is crazy but I liked the 1993 Fleers. I have no idea why.

vto said...

I remember when the O's were pretty bad and Jon Miller was doing the play by play. He started giving all kinds of word play names to Joe and he reeled off about a dozen ridiculous names. It was hysterical. Names I think I remember were; Jack 'Slack and my favorite, Jumping Jack Orsulak. The O's were hurtin' back then. I think that was close a time I remember that Jon Miller did a half inning in Spanish. Wondering if Jon did that more than once.