Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Darnell McDonald, 2000 Upper Deck SP Top Prospects #87

I grabbed up the Orioles cards in Thorzul's el cheapo December box break. He bought a whole mess of assorted cards off of one of his favorite eBay sellers and divvied up the cards by team for a small price. As fortune would have it, I received my haul in the mail yesterday, just in time for Christmas. While blindly buying into a lot of cards is always a delicate balance of risk and reward, I got a fair share of O's that were new to me, mostly from the mid-to-late 1990s. I also got 44 copies of the same Cal Ripken, Jr. card from 2006, which I'll have to keep separate from my 50 copies of Rob Dibble's 1989 Topps card.

One of my favorite cards in the bunch was this shiny-tastic card of former #1 draft pick and current Red Sox outfielder Darnell McDonald. Not only is he wearing the uniform of the Frederick Keys, but he appears to have a jump rope draped around his neck. How many players still incorporate jump roping into their training routines?

No comments: