Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cal Ripken, Jr., 1988 Sportflics #152

I've had this card for a few months, but I'm just now looking closely at it. If you peer into the field-level seats behind Cal Ripken, Jr., you'll be able to see the Toronto Blue Jays' mascot shift from side to side while Junior takes his hacks. I'm guessing that it was an unsporting attempt to distract the Orioles' shortstop. Judging from the strength of the swing that's captured in the photo sequence, I'm going to optimistically assume that this dirty bird failed in his task. Nasty creatures, those blue jays.

2 comments:

Rounding Thirty 3rd said...

Assuming this is a day game, the Orioles only played 2 day games in Toronto in 87 - on June 6th and 7th. Even though the O's lost both contests, Cal hit well, going 4 for 10 with a HR, 2 RBIs, a walk and 3 runs scored. It would be nice to imagine that this picture is of the solo homer he hit on the 7th.

Kevin said...

Tim - Good work! I'll agree with your hypothesis. Take that, Jim Clancy!