Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rafael Palmeiro, 1996 Topps Laser #88

This afternoon I found out that Derek Jeter had won his fifth Gold Glove. I was annoyed at first, but I soon realized that it wasn't worth it. The coaches and managers obviously don't take their votes very seriously, and haven't for years. Rafael Palmeiro famously won a Gold Glove at first base in 1999, a season in which he played 28 whole games in the field. So if they don't care, why should I? I really don't feel like any Orioles deserved the honors this year, with the possible exception of Nick Markakis, but I'm used to him being overlooked. I also can't argue with the outfielders chosen in Nick's stead: first-time winners Franklin Gutierrez and Carl Crawford, and the evergreen Ichiro. So let Jeter have his baubles. The sun will rise again tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

FreeTheBirds said...

I was hoping Wieters might pull it out, he lead AL catchers with the fewest pass balls and highest caught stealing percentage. But Joe Mauer must win it, for no other reason that: he's JOE MAUER!

Kevin said...

FTB - I read a blog post citing other defensive metrics that suggest Wieters was the best catcher in the AL. But at least Mauer's not a horrible choice.