Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cal Ripken, Jr. and Billy Ripken, 1992 Upper Deck #82

Cal and Billy Ripken each made their major league debuts in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium, out on 33rd Street. Both were on the field for the final MLB game ever played there. A few weeks ago, Charm City's most famous brothers broke ground on the site where that stadium once stood. They were on hand to announce that a new park was being built there - a miniature replica of Memorial Stadium intended to be the first of several nationwide Youth Development Parks for underprivileged children. It's part of the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation's Swing for the Future initiative. There were several other local dignitaries on hand, including Brooks Robinson and Artie Donovan. I'm thrilled to hear that Memorial Stadium is coming back in some capacity. It was always bittersweet to drive past that spot in the years since the ballpark was demolished. There will be baseball on 33rd Street once again.

4 comments:

William said...

Do you realize that you're like 2 months away from your 1000th post? What do you have in store for the readers then?

Rounding Thirty 3rd said...

I have a brick from Memorial Stadium that my father in law obtained somehow. It will be great to have ball being played at that sight again.

Andrew said...

Man, I had this picture on a b/w poster in the 90's...except from a different angle and a few frames later. I can't find an example of it, I guess it wasn't a popular one...but I always thought it was funny that someone made a poster and then UD made a baseball card out of the same play.

Andrew said...

Found it! Ebay has everything.

It's actually the exact same photo, I don't know why I remembered it differently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290373578228