Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, September 25, 2009

Vintage Fridays: Jerry Walker, 1959 Topps #144

While it's true that I write this blog each day (and another blog a few times a week) with no expectation of income, there are those who say that a job well done is its own reward. Of course, that doesn't mean that I will turn down the occasional perk that comes my way. About a week ago, I heard from Dean Hanley, founder and proprietor of Dean's Cards, an online hobby shop that seems to maintain the personal touch of the best brick and mortar shops (Dean has ten employees other than himself). Dean's recently gotten into the blogging game himself, so naturally he wanted to exchange links. I was happy to do so anyway, but he went above and beyond the call of duty by offering to send me some vintage Orioles off of my want list free of charge!

First, I had to register for a free account at Dean's site, but that was quick and painless. In all, he sent 13 cards (my favorite number), all in pretty good condition. Of course, the patriotic-looking Jerry Walker rookie pictured above was part of the shipment. They shipped quickly, and came packaged with a nifty marble coaster that featured images of some early 1900's cards of some of the game's greats. While I've never ordered from Dean's Cards before, I will certainly keep the link handy the next time I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I get that familiar itch for the good old cardboard stuff. I'd recommend that you do the same.

I'm sure some crank out there will say that I've "sold out", but if a baker's dozen of semi-stars and commons from 1957-1974 is enough to buy me out, then I'm a cheaper date than most, haha. Thanks again, Dean!

2 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

It looks like he has some good stuff in his store.

Kevin said...

Matt - Plus, you can sort the inventory by team. That's helpful!