Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Jose Morban, 2003 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia #75

Naturally, I have already vented my spleen about the vulgarities of tonight's Orioles game, just another road bump on the way to 100 losses and another lifeless, cover-your-eyes-ugly September full of anonymous quadruple-A sacrificial lamb players. A blown three-run lead by the back end of our bullpen, the only guys left out there who are supposed to be dependable. Five runs on fifteen hits. Horrendous situational hitting and baserunning. Nick Markakis being left on the bench while the Lou Montanezes and Jeff Fiorentinos floundered at bat in extra innings. Whatever. This is one of those days when I wonder why I even care about this laughingstock, and whether things will ever change, and why I let myself get so angry about the whole damn thing.

I'm so disgusted that I'm subjecting you to Jose Morban and his mismatched uniform-and-team-identification on a hideously ugly card and his wasted roster spot in 2003 (.141/.187/.225...that's an OPS+ of NINE. As in, 91% below league average). I'm sorry, but baseball is not for the faint of heart.

4 comments:

jacobmrley said...

he'd fit right in on the late season 2009 Mets. if this is what you go through every year, yikes.

Kevin said...

Oh, the September collapse happens every year, but my response to it varies. For some reason, I just boiled over last night. It probably didn't help that it was only Tuesday.

FreeTheBirds said...

I've stopped watching though I do read up on the games every morning. Nice to see Wieters doing well in the three hole and nice to see that at least it was a ballgame last night until the 9th inning. I went to the Nats-Dodgers game last night and that was a blowout.

Kevin, how are things at SSA? You're in Woodlawn, right?

Kevin said...

FreeTheBirds - Things are going well! I'm doing recruiting for the IT folks, and in fact I'll be at a job fair in DC tomorrow. You'll have to email me and let me know where you're located.