Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, September 7, 2009

Eddie Murray, 1997 Topps #462

From the "And you consider yourself a die-hard Orioles fan" department: Somehow I failed to recognize that yesterday was September 6, a momentous day in O's history. It was fourteen years to the day that Cal Ripken, Jr. played in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking Lou Gehrig's fifty-six-year-old record. Making it an even more embarrassing oversight, I spent the evening writing a post for my 1965 Topps blog about Phil Regan, the man who put Cal's name on the lineup card that night! Simply inexcusable on my part.

Further compounding my shame, yesterday was the thirteenth anniversary of Eddie Murray's 500th home run, which he hit in Baltimore off of Tigers pitcher Felipe Lira. You would think that I would remember these sort of things, especially since I witnessed them in my formative years as a baseball fan. In my defense, I've had two weeks off from work and it's thrown off my calendar. (I'm sure you're very sympathetic to my plight!) At the very least, I suppose I've learned a lesson about publishing blog posts before I've checked my RSS feed. Anyway, there's never a bad time to celebrate Steady Eddie, is there?

5 comments:

FreeTheBirds said...

I remember going to one of the games leading up to his 500th hoping to witness a little history. 1995 through 1997 were so special and fun, I wish I had appreciated it more at the time.

Shane said...

You can never post enough Eddie Murray cards :)
A great man both on and off the diamond.

Kevin said...

FTB - Yeah, I have a feeling that we'll cherish the next contending team a little more...whenever that may be.

Shane - Agreed.

jacobmrley said...

see...this is what your lack of remembrance brought down: the corruption of baltimore's youth:

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/09/four-cal-ripkens-8-thieves-arrested

Kevin said...

Max - Sigh. Stupidity reins supreme. They stole it and stashed it in a PICKUP TRUCK, which they then drove elsewhere in the city. They made such a commotion in said truck that the police had no trouble tracking them down. Stay in school, kids.