Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ben McDonald, 1993 Upper Deck SP #158

I dug into my box of mid-90's Orioles cards tonight with something vague, yet oddly specific, in mind. I needed to go to my happy place. After the frustration and ranting and shiny unpleasantness of last night, I had to cleanse the palate. I wanted to find something silly and unusual.

So I got halfway through the box and suddenly I found Ben McDonald, informing me that I had a front row seat to the Gun Show. Thanks for the boost, you crazy Cajun.

2 comments:

FreeTheBirds said...

Great card, I actually stopped collecting cards around 1992-93 so I love seeing these 1990s cards, a lot of them I've never seen before including this one. Do you think Big Ben is goofing off for his teammates or is he flexing for the cameraman?

Like I said yesterday, I've stopped watching them. It's a waste of time at this point, I just read about them the next day and watch any highlights online.

I hope Wieters, given a full season and being on the Opening Day roster, will really break out next year. I'm already looking forward to spring training.

Kevin said...

FTB - It's probably the former rather than the later. There are a few other interesting cards of him, including some where he's wearing a backwards cap and crouching like a catcher.

Wieters is finally starting to pull some of his home runs, and they are MONSTER shots. It's exciting!