Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Vintage Fridays: Dave McNally, 1971 Topps Super #18

As promised, here's a belated Vintage Fridays post. It could very well be subtitled, "What the heck is that?" Well, I'm going to tell you. It's a Topps Super featuring Dave McNally, one of a 63-card set. I have what I believe to be the complete O's team set, which also includes Boog Powell and Brooks Robinson. The cards are 5.25"x3.25", as opposed to the standard 2.5"x3.5" size. They're printed on an especially thick cardboard stock, giving them a sturdy feel. They're similar in substance to children's matching game cards or coasters, and were released each year from 1969-1971. I like them because they look and feel like they can take a beating, as opposed to your run-of-the-mill flimsy cards that'll ding a corner as soon as you drop them or brush them against the edge of a box.

As you can see above and below, the corners are rounded (giving them a further air of invincibility). The fronts feature a full-color photo, usually a three-quarters' length posed shot of the player, and a facsimile signature. They keep it really simple. The backs are styled after the 1971 Topps base cards, with a black and white headshot next to a brief bio that includes the dates for the player's pro and major league debuts. They are arranged horizontally, and have stat lines at the bottom for the 1970 season and the player's career to date. The background is a spring green.

I haven't really figured out the best way to store these cards, but I do enjoy their oddball nature and durability. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the 1969 and 1970 Super Orioles.

2 comments:

jacobmrley said...

four pocket pages work best for these. they also make top loaders for them, but they are a special order...if fact, i might have a few somewhere if you're interested.

Kevin said...

Max - I actually have some four pocket pages that I bought for Strat-o-Matic. I'll have to dig them out!