Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Luis Matos, 2001 Fleer Futures #182

If I were to assign superlatives to every card in my collection (and really, why wouldn't I?), the above would be declared "most glittery". It might not be so apparent in the scan, but the gray-looking surface that comprises the right side of the card is actually a dense carpet of silver glitter. Did the prototype also involve macaroni? I simply cannot imagine who the target demographic for this set was. Maybe Fleer was attempting to reach out to young girls, but the ones that I know (all one of them) have much simpler, more mainstream collecting interests. The kids don't always need to be pandered too, Mister Card Company Bigwig. Sometimes less is more...especially when glitter enters into the equation.

No comments: