Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dennis Martinez, 1993 Pinnacle #291

First of all, I love this card because of the side-by-side comparison of Dennis Martinez at the beginning and near-end of his career (though he remarkably hung on for another five years after this). It's reminiscent of the Super Veteran subset from 1983 Topps, and it presents a microcosm of one of my card collecting interests: I like to collect each player on as many of his different teams as I can. Such a broad subject is a beautiful thing, as it allows me to keep seeking out tons of different cards, as well as ensuring that even the most seemingly drab packs have some sort of hidden value.

But I also posted this excellent card of "El Presidente" because I want to talk politics a bit. I've studiously avoided this topic on this blog because it's so divisive; I have my opinions and this isn't a place that I deem appropriate to discuss them. In that vein, I'm not going to advocate my causes and beliefs tonight. If you're curious, you can read a bit about them here. For now, I just want to encourage my readers to vote. Hopefully, you're already registered. If not, it may not be too late. The deadline in Maryland is today, as it is for Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, and West Virginia. Tomorrow is do-or-die day in Massachusetts and Wisconsin. Friday is the cutoff date in Nebraska. Of course, some of these states have different deadlines for in-person registration; you can find out more here.

No matter what you believe and who you believe in, the greatest power that you possess in the United States is your right to vote. Don't take it for granted.

5 comments:

deal said...

Thanks for reminding everyone of their civic duty. Good card for the post also.

--David said...

Can we vote for Martinez?

Kevin said...

David, as long as he's got his citizenship, why not write him in?

Chris Harris said...

I think this is from 1993 Pinnacle.

Kevin said...

Chris, you are correct. I'm brain dead every once in a while.