Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Curtis Goodwin, 1995 Upper Deck #4

This Day in Orioles History: July 1, 1995

Orioles 6, Blue Jays 2 at SkyDome

Rookie outfielder Curtis Goodwin continued a torrid start to his major league career with a 3-for-5 performance in the O's win over the last-place Blue Jays. He hit his first home run, a two-run shot in the fifth inning off of Toronto starter Al Leiter, doubled, and drove in three runs total. A month into his stint with the Birds, the speedy outfielder was hitting .370. Though he would slump later and finish at .263, Curtis' future was bright enough that Baltimore was able to swap him to the Reds for veteran pitcher David Wells.

The Oriole attack on this day was top-heavy; the three hitters at the top of the lineup (Goodwin, Manny Alexander, and Rafael Palmeiro) accounted for nine of the team's ten hits (designated hitter Bret Barberie had the other).

On the mound, lefty Jamie Moyer excelled, evening his record at 3-3 by pitching into the eighth inning while allowing six hits and no walks and striking out four. He was economical, throwing just 83 pitches. Incidentally, Moyer is the only participant in this game who is still an active player some thirteen years later; he was 32 at the time and is now a 45-year-old veteran starter for the Phillies. Time flies, huh?

2 comments:

Commishbob said...

Funny thing, after having been an O's fan for 35 years the 1995 O's might as well have been Martians to me. I was one of those folks who lost interest in baseball when the strike occurred and didn't come back to it for awhile. I don't have any knowledge or memories of guys like Barberie, Jeff Manto, and Curtis Goodwin. When I finally had a spark of interest, thanks to Davey Johnson, they canned him and it was over for me.
I began to watch baseball again when my sons caught Astros fever in 2005 and that led to me looking at box scores again. I'll probably never be the fan I once was but I'm enjoying the game again.

Dinged Corners said...

Jamie Moyer is one of our favorites. Great post series.