Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, July 26, 2008

B. J. Ryan, 2005 Topps #625

I hate to post and run, but I'm a very busy man today. First, I have the final performance of my play - which is going very well, thanks for asking. We've had good crowds for all four shows, and with 45 (of a maximum 60) tickets presold as of Friday, we're practically guaranteed our second sellout today! In the meantime, I have to straighten up my apartment; I'm hosting a cast party after the show and it's doubling as an early birthday party for yours truly. So...places to go, people to see.

Few Oriole pitchers have been as busy as B. J. Ryan was during his six-plus seasons in orange and black. Among all O's pitchers, he ranks fifth in total games pitched, with 404. The only reliever that tops him is Tippy Martinez, with 499. Until 2007, when Dave Trembley and Sam Perlozzo rode their only reliable bullpen arms (Jamie Walker - 81 games, Chad Bradford - 78 games) straight into the ground, B. J. was also tied with Tippy for the most appearances in a single season with 76 - but Ryan did it twice, in consecutive years (2003 and 2004). I suppose it was inevitable that the imposing lefty would break down, as he pitched only five times for the Blue Jays in 2007 before having Tommy John surgery to repair torn elbow ligaments in his pitching arm. But he seems to be back at full strength in 2008, having already racked up several saves at the expense of his former team. I'm really, truly happy for him. Nope, no sarcasm whatsoever in that statement. None. Excuse me...

No comments: