Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, July 14, 2008

???, 1992 Confex Baseball Enquirer #42

I post this card tonight as an appeal for help. This is one of three "Baseball Enquirer" cards that I received from David at Indians Cards. Always. I know who the other two are supposed to be (Jim Palmer and Billy Ripken - I'll have to show you that one later), but this fella has me 100% stumped. The interview on the back is no help at all; it mentions the mystery man being a submarine pitcher and an Australian native. It then conflates these two facts into a lame joke about "Down Under", hyuk hyuk. The only submariner I remember pre-Chad Bradford was Todd Frohwirth, but the last time I checked Milwaukee wasn't the Outback. According to Baseball Reference, there weren't any Aussie pitchers in major league history prior to 1993 (former Yankee scum Graeme Lloyd was the first). I only found one checklist for this set online, and it doesn't identify the subject of card #42. So what gives? Is this actually supposed to be Frohwirth, and they just made up the Australian stuff out of whole cloth for the sake of a terrible pun? Or am I just having a mental block? The truth is out there. I hope.

3 comments:

Commishbob said...

This may be a re-post....

Looks like Frohwirth to me (sort of). Check this card out.

Rounding Thirty 3rd said...

I agree with Frohwirth. The "Aussie" reference may be a lame joke about his pitching motion being "Down Under" (submarine style).

Can't wait to see "Brother" Bill.

dayf said...

My SCD lists him as "Unidentified Player" so Frohwith is as good a guess as any...