Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Adam Jones, 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen #85

My boss and I have a running joke about my status as a good-luck charm for the 2012 Orioles. He keeps urging me to go to every game, even when they're on the road. When I mentioned that I was actually attending tonight's game, he said that he wouldn't even have to watch on TV, because he already knew it was a win. He's certainly got more confidence than I do. I wasn't expecting the O's to knock Cy Young Award hopeful Chris Sale out of the game after four innings, and I didn't anticipate Chris Tillman and Brian Matusz collaborating on a two-hit shutout of the powerful White Sox. What's more, neither hit left the infield. The castoff tag team of Nate McLouth and Lew Ford were at it again; McLouth had three hits and a stolen base, and Ford hit another home run. Adam Jones got in on the fun, pushing a ball over the right field scoreboard to snap a 110-at-bat homerless streak. It was Adam's long-awaited 100th career home run, and his 25th of the season to tie a career high. Orioles 6, White Sox 0. My record at Oriole Park is 9-4, and the Birds' record is 71-57. They're 14 games above .500 for the first time in 7 years. If I'm dreaming, don't wake me.

3 comments:

Oriole Paul said...

You should look into airfare on Southwest from BWI to TAM for the season ending series at the Trop in Tampa. I'll be going as I think it will be a very important series for the O's...either to get a WC or possibly win the East....unbelievable that I just typed that....

jacobmrley said...

Always nice to be a good luck charm for your team. I am on a 2-10 streak live with the Mets. The only 2 wins? In Oriole Park. Go figure.

Kevin said...

OP - That's mighty tempting.

Max - I don't know that I've ever been on a streak that bad, but over the years I've seen some games so ugly they should've counted double.