Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Brad Bergesen, 2004 Bowman Draft Picks #BDP80

Now that I finally dug out the card I was looking for a few days ago, we can all wave goodbye to Brad Bergesen, the 2009 rookie who had surprising success and then crashed back to Earth with all of the force of a Billy Butler line drive to the shin. Brad had been pushed further and further to the margins of the team's plans thanks to his own increasing ineffectiveness in 2010-2011, and spent most of this year at AAA Norfolk. Though the Orioles called him up as an emergency reliever last week, they sent him out the next day and tried to pass him through waivers. The Diamondbacks claimed him, reuniting him with fellow ex-Oriole David Hernandez in their bullpen. Au revoir, Bergy. We'll always have those mostly-magical 19 starts from the dark Dave Trembley days.

1 comment:

Ryan H said...

I'm sad to see Brad go. I think the way he left town has a lot of people scratching their heads a bit.

I was at the game that he made his MLB debut. Coincidentally, the one thing I remember the most about that game is when he K'd Jim Thome who was with the White Sox at the time!