Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, August 5, 2011

Vintage Fridays: Frank Robinson, 1968 Topps Game Card #7

On August 1, 1982, Frank Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Four days later, I was born. That's right, today is my 29th birthday, and I can say with confidence that of all my birthdays, it is the most recent. I don't know what the final year of my twenties will hold, but I can't think of a better way to kick it off than by showing off a great vintage oddball of one of the true legends of the game.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Happy birthday! '82 was a good year for births; you, me, kate middleton, anne hathaway, danica patrick, david wright, jenna haze, dontrelle willis...

Matt Runyon said...

happy birthday! :)

Randy said...

Kevin, I was not yet eight years old when I pulled this and other game card inserts out of wax packs purchased at one of a half dozen or so mom and pop grocery stores on the corners of the streets in my neighborhood. Whenever I would get a nickle, dime or quarter by doing a chore, or just plain asking my parents, I'd jump on my bicycle and race to one of these stores to see what treasures were wrapped up under the colorful wax paper. I long since moved from that first ring Buffalo suburb that has really changed over time; among other things, there are no more corner grocery stores. But the memories are still alive in my head and heart, some 40 years later. I get to relive some of that innocence of childhood each time I open a piece of mail from a fellow baseball card collector like you (thanks for the Clemente cards) or go to this blog to see what Kevin has for show and tell today.

PS A suggested blog theme - the changing facial hair of Nick Markakis.

Kevin said...

Thanks guys! Randy, I think Nick's facial hair will have to wait until the 2012 cards come out, but that's a great idea.

jacobmrley said...

Happy Birthday! That said, stay 29 forever...I turned 30 and, in no particular order, my girl left me, i got into three car accidents, i got falsely arrested and one of my best friends dropped dead of a heart attack. 30 sucks. 29 forever!