Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Joe Altobelli, 1984 Fleer #643

This blog entry is a remote dispatch from the Holiday Inn in Philadelphia, located conveniently behind Citizens Bank Park. I'm in town to raise a glass with my friend Ryan and his girlfriend Kerri. Even though I live an hour and a half away, I never have been to a Phillies home game either at CBP or Veterans Stadium. I suppose I'll have to do something about that eventually. Tonight, I'm just content to get away for a bit.

The last time the O's were in the World Series, they had an I-95 showdown with the Phils in 1983. As you probably remember, the Birds took the series in five games, with Scott McGregor five-hitting the Phillies to clinch the title in the Vet. I'd love to see another Fall Classic between these two teams soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

night owl said...

I know as an Orioles fan you'll disagree, but I still maintain that the 1983 World Series was the dullest I've ever watched in 30-plus years of watching the Series.

(Close second: 1995, Indians-Braves, which will get Braves fans undergarments bunchy).

Kevin said...

Night Owl - Oh, I know what you mean. Being 14 months old at the time, I don't have any memory of the 1983 Series, but I've caught replays of some of the games on ESPN Classic and MASN. There's nothing much to write home about, although seeing Jim Palmer come on in relief to duel with Steve Carlton is a pretty cool moment.

Personally, I don't remember much about the 1998 Series between the Yankees and Padres. It probably tells you how overmatched I knew San Diego to be.